The beach is a blissful, care-free place that allows you to unwind and have fun. However, this delightful place can often times go wrong when you do not know how to prepare for a long day in the sun.
Sunburns and tanning occur when the sun begins to damage the skin, resulting in higher production of melanin to prevent further damage. Depending on the person, the amount of melanin released can either make the skin darker or go straight for the sunburn. A common misconception is that if you do not sunburn, your skin is safe. However, according to the American Academy of Dermatology, this has been proven to be false. They state that tan and sunburned skin are both an aftermath of sun damaged skin that can potentially later lead to melanoma or pre-mature aging. However, sunburned skin does tend to be more hazardous to your health if they are serious sunburns. Having five or more blistering sunburns between the age of 15 and 20 can increase your risk of developing melanoma by 80 percent. This is why we must take the necessary precautions now to avoid the dangers of the sun.
Keeping this in mind, you shouldn’t avoid the sun completely, but you should know how to keep your skin safe while having fun outdoors. With these simple tricks you can enjoy sunny days without running the risk of serious skin damage.
- Sunscreen All over! – Before you leave the house, make sure that you apply an appropriate amount of sunscreen with at least SPF 30. This means head to toe. Don’t forget your ears, neck, feet and lips which most people forget. Remember to not skimp on the amount of sunscreen you apply. Less is not more in this case, so be generous with how much you apply.
- Cover Your Eyes- Your eyes are another area of the body that definitely cannot be forgotten when it comes to sun protection. The eyes and the surrounding skin are extremely delicate. Have your favorite sunglasses with you that will block the UVA and UVB radiation. By wearing sunglasses, you can reduce the risk of developing cataracts, macular degeneration, Pterygium, as well as premature wrinkles that show up around the eye area.
- You Can Layer- Although having sunscreen on is a great way to protect your skin, having a light layer of tightly knit clothing can really help prevent the sun from burning you. Choose light fabrics such as cotton or linen that are cool and absorb humidity.
- The Larger the Hat the Better- To get sufficient coverage, grab a full-rimmed hat that you can relax in at the beach. This is good way to add extra shade to your face so you don’t burn.
- Reapply- Remember to reapply because sunscreen does wear off after a few hours, especially if you are dipping into the water or sweating in the warm weather. It is also important to allow the sunscreen to sink into the skin before going directly back into the water after you reapply.
- Hydrate and Hydrate- After many hours in the heat it is crucial to hydrate your skin by drinking plenty of water and applying a reliable lotion that you know does a great job at hydrating your skin.
Oil-free EltaMD UV Clear helps calm and protect sensitive skin types prone to discoloration and breakouts associated to acne and rosacea. It contains niacinamide (vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid and lactic acid, ingredients that promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
This is a 100% physical sunscreen and come in a tinted, moisturizing form. It is gentle for even the most sensitive skin types, including post-procedure skin. Its chemical-free actives, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, provide safe but sure sun protection. These mineral-based UV filters work with ultra-hydrating hyaluronic acid to protect and hydrate the skin. UV Elements has a universal tint that beautifully enhances most skin tones for a more youthful appearance.
A tinted sunscreen fluid with 100% mineral filters provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection, while promoting natural radiance and a more even skin tone
A weightless 100% physical sunscreen that provides broad spectrum protection with a transparent finish.
A broad spectrum sunscreen specially designed for active and extreme conditions including full marathons.
The beach should be a fun time enjoying the soft sand and jumping into the waves to cool down. Just do it the right way by keeping your skin in check. Enjoy the summer!